View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Sign me up!
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

trainwrex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy
I don't know about me qualifying as a 'hater', it's your money bro and more power to ya if you wish to be an experimental philanthropist etc! But at this stage it would be sensable to both get some real experience of driving a fairly regular car on tracks such as Wanners to understand what is actually required (rather than what you 'think' will be required) as well as talk to those who race there regularly with reasonably good results and reliable engines etc.

All I'm suggesting is that Drags are a completely different thing to Circuit. Sheer power is useless if it is not useable, delayed by lag and cannot get to the wheels well enough on the circuit. You need immediate and useable power and beefy torque to pull you out of the corners, even if it is a larger more undulating track than MC.

Some examples:
My friend with a ~400Hp Skyline GTS-t (Big laggy T04E with gate etc) running R-rubber and fairly decent suspension setup could only manage a 64sec run on Wanneroo long track... that same day I was driving my RS with street tyres, 250,000km+ on the old tired engine and no extra power mods aside from Exhaust/ intake and was pulling consistant 62's...

While instructing at a John Bowe day last year, a driver of a 500kw FPV with lowered suspension and stock brakes was only managing similar times of 64's (by memory). However I use this example because the real issue was the excessive power (Yes, you can have too much!) This thing browned everyone's undies because it was intially laggy and once coming on boost was simply annoying to control and keep on the track! Even in 3rd, 4th gear it was frying tyres out of Kolbe corner!!
Yes, Gran Tourismo racecars put out that kind of power... but they also have a purpose built chassis, drivetrain and braking system to utilise this.

More food for thought if you are aiming at a circuit car...?

That comment was just a dig at clint.....

Yeah i understand i will have to change things, as i said its initally built for the drags, once i get my time ill see how it goes on the circuit then see what is needed to be changed..

The difference with rear wheel drive is that excessive power can seriously be detrimental, however a awd car can put down alot more power for the obvious reasons..

As for racing as a circuit car, i want to be able to learn how to drive not saying that im a jet driver but far from it.. I will not be taking the car to its limits UNTIL i learn more about it, and talk to others also.. real life driving experience is whats needed...

but hey who knows how responsive its going to be until its actually running, it may suprise few ppl or do exactly what the majority are thinking..