View Single Post
Old 21-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Very quick crash course in road bikes.

They have a minimum weight of around 17 pounds. You can spend $30k if you really want to.
You have to break them down into three parts:

Frame
Wheels
Components

Frame:

For less than about $3500 you will not get a full carbon fibre bike. This means you will get an alloy frame and more than likely carbon front forks. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Wheels:

These are often overlooked but they vary sooo much in weight. For around $1000 you are going to be pretty limited but the groovy looking full discs that a lot of the try boys have are great ...... till it starts to blow.... Pick up a couple of wheels and you will very soon see the difference.

Components:

Basically everyone makes what they think is the best frame and then puts someone else components and wheels on it. There are a few different makes out there but the two most established ones are shimano and campagnolo. Campi dont do a lot of the cheap stuff so dont worry about that.

That leaves shimano. They do their cheap cheap stuff which is called tiagra. If you can stretch your budget get as far away from this as possible. Mate of mine bought one and destroyed the rear cassette and derailer within 2000km. Basically the shimano gear starts at 105 and then ultegra and then dura ace. Lance armstrong had dura ace so it gives you an idea.

Another mate of mine bought a real nice cannondale bike (last years model) with 105 crank / brakes / levers etc and ultegra front and rear derailuer. He paid $1500. I would suggest something like this would be ideal. The wheels on it are pretty crap but as he can afford it he will buy some decent ones.

Hope this helps.

oh.. by the way. the one above sounds great.

Brendon