View Single Post
Old 31-01-2008, 11:20 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

fmx_rider at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxey
Pete

You do not want to bridge the two rear channels of the amp into a 2 ohm load as I don't think that amp is capable of driving such a load reliably.
I agree that you don't want to bridge the 2 channels into 2 ohm....but you do still want to bridge these channels. You just need to make sure that your sub (or subs) have atleast a 4 ohm load.

How:

Pete, you need to check what your sub resistance is. You can get a 2, 4 or 8 ohm single voice coil versions of the JL W3 you bought.

How do you get 4 ohm load from all of these? (which is safe for your amp when 2 channels are bridged)

A) Run 1 x 4 ohm model sub - simplest option. 175 wRMS

B) Run 2 x 8 ohm model subs in parallel - load is 4 ohm, total power still 175 w RMS

C) Run 2 x 2 ohm model subs in series - load is 4 ohm, total power still 175 wRMS

A is deinately the easiest option since you want to be able to quickly remove your sub box. B and C are more expensive (double costs) but would be a bit louder.

+1 for bolting sub in with straps and tek screws. 5 minutes to remove. I was sick of finding my sub on the other side of my boot after spirited driving on off camber corners.