View Single Post
Old 14-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Subaru Tech Division

sleepy at standard level
Send a message via MSN to sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko_pano
G'day guys

Im currently a 22yr in my final year at uni and for the past 2 months or so have been looking at joining up to the defence force.

I've recently attend JOES day and managed to do quite well in the aptitude tests and medical.

Basically i've been offered quite a number of selections of jobs but i what i really want is to join as a Direct Entry officer.

My main interests are in the following Officer Jobs that i've been offered:

1. Air Combat Officer
2. Air Traffic Controller
3. Pilot

Now to my main questions.

As I am not planning on staying in the Raaf forever, so what type of careers will Air Combat officer led to?
I have searched high and low but as it is a newly introduced role i can't seem to find too much regarding it.

Secondly, right now im most interested in becoming a pilot. It seems really challenging and it has motivated me to move off my butt, conquer my fears and do something about my life. Something about being the best of the best really appeals to me.

But what are my next steps besides booking in for secondary pilot aptitude tests?

What do i be aware of?
What do i need to study for?

Basically im wanting to know how i should best prepare myself for the greatest chance of getting in!
The stats are daunting (somethings like 10,000 people apply per yr and only 100 get through)

SO if there's anyone that gotten into the RAAF recently, especially as a pilot, please help a fella out

Sorry for the long post

Much much appreciated

William
Two friends of mine are RAAF pilots. There was a great tv series on SBS just recently called "The real top guns" and it was about fighter pilots in the airforce. Might be worth a look. The chances of flying "fast jets" though are quite small, so if all you want to do is fly hornets then you better work bloody hard.

Have you ever been in control of an aircraft before? might be worth doing a few flying lessons just to make sure it's definitely something you want to do. There are months of flying training once you are inducted so doing a full PPL would be a waste of money IMHO. another option might be to joing the local AAFC (Air Force Cadets) they take it all pretty seriously like the real airforce so it might give you an idea for what you would be getting yourself into as an officer in the RAAF.

Also from my understanding the more you can show that you would be "worthy" the better, so doing some comunity work, maybe as volunteer fire fighter or such would help too.

I've always wanted to be a pilot and I do plan some day to get my license, I really don't think the Airforce would have been for me. It is full on, As i have said my friends have been through 2FTS and completed their flying training and are now flying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-3_Orion but from what I am told the testing never stops, there is always another level you have to achieve.

Good luck mate, if you do decided to enter as a pilot I hope it all goes well for you!