View Single Post
Old 15-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by servos subi
weigh it.... Gold is quite heavy and if you weigh it u will have some idea as to whether it is real gold or not, another way is to take it to a jeweller and they can weigh it from there they will tell u whether its real or not.
Weight might be a vague guide, but in the end, tells you little about what the ring is actually composed of. Seen alot of fakes come into work for testing, they use various techniques to fool people, including, adding a lead or other heavy metal to the core of the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servos subi
The other dodgy way is to take it to cash converters and ask what they will give ya for it.... thats the quickest way.... but really dodgy.
My experience is your better off asking a jeweler before asking cashies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitShine
i know its definately not 24k or 22k as the gold isn't a strong yellow so i'm assuming its 9k or possibly 18k. I was able to make out one character imprint on the inside of the ring. the letter K but the rest is still a blur.
Take a photo and put it on here.
24k gold is also quite soft (for a metal) and would easily bend out of shape. Most likely its 18 or 9. Given you saying its not a strong yellow then most likely its 9k gold.
My job everyday is gold purity analysis, and while I could probably tell you by looking at it, what the approximate gold content is, and by weight. This is NOT a guarantee that the ring is not plated.

Only way of a 100% guarantee is going to involve removal of a piece of metal from the ring,
or,
a method that can damage the ring or stain it. (putting a drop or 2 of Nitric acid on it)
Given that the ring is from Asia, and knowing what metals are generally in their Jewelry alloys, I strongly wouldnt advise this method.