View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Subaru Tech Division

BN01 at standard level
Default My Grand Plan: Help wanted!

Ok,

So im looking for as much info as i can about a thought im having.

But first, a bit of background:

Ive just started a Bachelor of Technology at ECU majoring in Motorsports. Its become apparent that a lot of the guys in the course are involved in motorsports or are building up cars etc. I on the other hand have merely an interest but nothing to back it up with so i feel im at a disadvantage.

So, to my big idea.

Ive been thinking recently that i should purchase a late model GC8 / early GD and set about turning it into some sort of track car. The reason ive always kept away from doing this as a daily driver POV is that i doubt its reliability if im putting 30,000kms on it a year. But if its a dedicated track car (ie b-reg, some sort of limited use insurance policy) it will work out cheaper for me, and i wont have to worry about reliability so much as it wont be my daily mode of transport.

I'll do most of the work myself (or with the help of willing, knowledgable forum members). So strip the interior, change out suspension components etc. But leave the engine relatively stock to start with so i have a base to work on as far as track times are concerned (meaning that improvements will be seen by changing spring settings and my driving ability rather than power gains).

So a couple of questions:

1) Can anyone give me a rough idea of costs of b-rego?

2) Do any insurance companies offer a limited use policy for this sort of
situation?

3) GC8 or GD?

4) Can anyone see any flaws in my plan?

5) Can anyone offer any other advice to set me in the right direction?

Discuss

Cheers,
Blair.

MY07 Mitsubishi Ralliart Colt