View Single Post
Old 05-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Insufficient registration

jEstEr? knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVL WRX
Blair, if you are looking for a track car, don't just stick to rexes when deciding what platform to use.. can build orsm track cars for a lot less outside of a rex...

just something to bear in mind..
true that. as has been said, an S13 could be an ideal project due to being cheap, light, and an abundance of parts. Even an NA manual S13 with a turbo strapped on the side can be fast (ASG have one at 260hp!)

BUT if you are going to go WRX.. here is what i'd say & were i in your position now with my knowledge, what i would do.

Return the wagon to stock and sell. You could probably use those rims on a WRX anyway, or sell them seperately for more cash.
Buy an EA falcon, VP commodore or some such wagon with a tow bar. This has to be reliable enough to be your daily but grunty enough to pull a trailer. This is then your support car, with room for a second set of wheels, jack etc in the boot and enough grunt to one day tow a car trailer.

Buy a GC road registered car. You should be able to pick one up for 2-6K running & lic, cheaper not running (I got mine for 4k 1.5 years ago and then saw one for 2k a week later) Keep it lic, its easier that way. Try aim for a 4WD car, and preferably 98+, these will be more expensive but better.

Buy a GC half cut. Make sure its in the same year group as your chassis, to save headaches with the interior. ver1-2-3 (93-97) or ver 4-5-6 (98-00). WRX if its what you can afford, but aim for an STi or even better an STi Type RA. If you can afford an STi, then an exhaust & retune will net you more than enough power to get yourself in trouble.

Keep it stock. Look at Brendons car, AFAIK its a stock V6 RA with an exhaust and an Autronic, and it was quick enough to win Dutton (obviously Brendons driving was a big help). so you do the conversion. Bribe a certain someone with coronas.

from there, grab a set of those HSD's ballsac sells. they are cheap, decent by all accounts, and have plenty enough adjustables for you to understand what they do. I'd then sava da money and get a ... MoTeC. Fuck what the haters say. It will be decently cheap for a GC anyway. But the advantage of that is you can learn the basics of tuning, data acquisition & interpreting etc for the ecu & software that many ARC and V8 Super car teams use. Not only will your car have a cool sticker, but it will also help you learn towards something which will actually benefit your career.

from there you do the interior stuff like my car, strip all the shit out, get light weight bucket seats and harnesses, maybe a half or full cage or whatever floats your boat.

as soon as your car is driving, start learning it. As Alex said, seat time is the key. There are tenths in the setup, but there are seconds in the driver! Take your car to gravel autocross events or just go up in the hills on a weekend or something (in a controlled environment!) gravel will exagerate your cars reactions and on dry tarmac you will be ready to react way ahead of time. do mc events etc whenever you can and play with your setup etc.

if you want to chat , call meh