View Single Post
Old 18-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Flat Four Father

SPEC IV at standard level

I have to do this little project myself but just been too lazy to do so
The rear plastic pods will be tricky to take off as you require to take the bumper off in order to take the pods off. Alternative is to mask off the area really well so you get no over spray.

Basic painting tips for plastics:

1. Rub back plastics thoroughly with wet and dry sand paper, make sure that it is wet when doing so. Don't rub hard just a little pressure to take off any silicone build up and any rough patches from stone chips etc...

2. Dry parts completely!! Hand dry and let them sit for a while to ensure all moisture has evaporated.

3. Plastic prime the parts. I usually do two coats, allowing plenty of drying time between coats, make sure you spray an even layer. What I tend to do is "dust" the first coat on and then a "normal" coat after that has dried.

4. Same steps as number #3 for spraying the actual colour you want but I would do three coats to allow for stone chips that may occur etc...

NOTE: When spraying start the can before the surface and release after the surface for an even amount of paint.

Anyway... thats how I use to paint my plastic bits and they always turned out well.

In terms of paint I go to the colour matching paint shop in Balcatta on Balcatta Rd that can make you up any colour you want and put it in a can or a touch up tin. Good bloke and always willing to give advice.

Good-luck with it.

Last edited by SPEC IV; 18-04-2008 at 06:55 PM.