Thread: Police Force...
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs_wrx
Correct me if i'm wrong but I don't think they allow females into the TRG. In saying that the website doesn't say they can't join, but I have a feeling thats the case.

I wanted to join the army but every job I looked at and was interested in, you had to be male

For those of you that have forgotten or are not aware... I'm currently a flight attendant... for a regional airline... flying "local" folk all the time... and then there are the miners. I cop a fair wack of verbal abuse and just plain rudeness fairly often... but if it gets that bad, it's dealt with accordingly (reported to their bosses, they get the sack, they never fly with us again). Usually I fly up to 30 males to various minesites... now I'm not being sexist or anything but you are a rowdy bunch lol... and I'm the only flight attendant on the plane controlling the lot of them, whilst trying to be the nice polite hosty!

So I'd say I have a bit of experience that would help me in the police force.

I know its not all about catching bank robbers and shooting the bad guys and whatever, but thats not why I'm getting into it.

I need a career change, something with a bit of challenge... because making tea and coffee has its limits. Also theres opportunity for promotion into different areas of the police force, I want to get into traffic or detective/forensic work no matter how hard it is, at least it's a goal I can work towards. Money is a lot better than what I'm on now too, and I mean A LOT better... and money isn't everything... but money is important.
Well there are worse careers. I think the key thing is to go in with an open mind, be aware of the negatives of being in the police force as well as the positives. I would guess some guys have read too many recruitment brochures and think it's quite an exciting career and the reality is probably very different. That said as a female and as a minority you will probably find that promotion/changing departments etc is going to be less competitive than if you were a male. And as far as females not being allowed in the TRG, I think that it comes down to the female psyche - studies have shown that they are much less likely to use necessary lethal force than males are. And I think it's the same reason they're not allowed in the Special Forces. Although the idea of a chick running around dressed in a black rubber suit, with big black leather boots does sound quite erotic.