View Single Post
Old 14-07-2008, 10:26 PM
STI Master

meatbag at standard level

[QUOTE=Matatak]
Also never assume that if someone is indicating that they are actually following through with that Action. an indicator is just that...an Indication.
QUOTE]

x2 I remember a certain incident were a tarago came up to a roundabout with his left indicator on. My first instinct was to not trust a tarago because its most likely an asian driver (flame suit on) Sure enough, it was an asian driver and he went straight through. (also factors from my last point let me know he wasn't turning)

My understanding when this rule came into place was that, you must indicate left as soon as you are taking the next exit. i.e. if you are going straight through a roundabout, no indicator until you have passed the left turn, then indicate left to say you're taking the next exit.

This makes perfect sense for a large double laned roundabout because it can be hard to see which entry every car came from, BUT, on a small single lane suburbian roundabout, it can be a nuisance. the distance between passing one exit and passing the next is miniscule and might only give enough time for one flash of the indicator. hardly enough to make let other drivers make their decision.

- also factor in manual drivers already having one hand on the gear stick - yes they should have changed gears before entering, but a lot of people don't- I would prefer they keep the other hand COMPLETELY on the wheel. releasing two fingers to turn on an indicator, especially if they are trying to turn the wheel at the same time is enough to lose control or to cause an incident.

When i come up to a roundabout, i dont look for indicators. You should be able to determine if a car is going straight, or turning left or right by his speed and entry angle! a bit of common sense and it is really quite easy to tell what another car is going to do before it even enters the roundabout.