View Single Post
Old 29-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Subaru Tech Division

impreza_GT at standard level

Alan Carpenter's plans in my opinion it will definately help the cause however there are two other major factors which can be linked back to the causes of deaths and accidents on our roads. (and they aren't necessarily aimed just at p plate drivers). First driver attitude. Careless and wreckless actions are not directly linked to owners of powerful vehicles. It has more to do with lack of maturity and lack of responsibility. People that fit into this category, are an extreme danger to the rest of the population. They dont need a high powered vehicle to be wreckless and irresponsible. Amongst this group of p plate drivers, the main reasons for these selfish behaviours is adrenalin and or trying to impress. The idea of not allowing p plate driver to have passengers, i feel would contribute immensly to make the roads a safer place as it would give them less reason to drive in a foolish manner. Secondly is driver capabilites. I feel it is too easy for one to obtain a drivers licence these days. Unfortunately you cannot learn to be an adequate enough driver for all conditions and circumstances by reading a book or doing hours in extremely controlled environments. Better and more realistic driver training is needed to teach p plate drivers how to react in worse case scenarios. Whilst training like this is available, I feel it needs to be made compulsory. Also it is not fair to categorise all p plate drivers into the same careless and irresponsible stereo type and unfortunately the innocent will suffer with the plans for curfews and passenger limitations. But in order to save lives and makes our roads safer these proposed new laws are an extremely small price to pay.

My 2c

Last edited by impreza_GT; 29-07-2008 at 04:58 PM.