View Single Post
Old 29-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

1. What do you believe of Mr Carpenter's proposition to limit the type of cars that P-platers can drive? Why?

I think there are more contributing factors to why p-platers crash and die on roads, besides the car they drive. In theory, i high performance car, such as a WRX comes with the added safety that is associated with it being a high performance car (ie: bigger brakes, aribags etc..) I know for a fact, a 1985 holden camira does not have airbags to save passengers lives. Also, if you give p-platers V8 holdens, or you give p-platers nissan micra's they are still going to race each other. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, either way, both cars will still eventually get to 100 - 120 kmp/h and i would much rather be in a high performance car with bigger brakes and airbags, than a small little buzz box.

Also, driver education is poor in this state. Maybe make it compulsary to attend defensive driving courses, or something like that?

And what about road design. Western Australian roads are poorly designed, and no ammount of speed camera's or fixed speed camera's are going to solve that..

2. Do you think it could help curb the deaths of p-platers on WA roads?

Its possible it will have an affect, but not a noticable one.

3. How do you respond to calls from the public that p-platers in high-powered cars are irresponsible?

Probably true, again, driver education.

4. What alternatives do you believe would be a better practical measure to curb deaths on WA roads?

Driver education (obviously) Better Road design. Greater police presence