Thread: Home Networking
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

NIX WRX at standard level

Don't forget Ethernet-over-power, works a treat for me at home with a media centre downstairs and Xbox 360 (as an extender) upstairs.

I wouldn't buy the 200Mb/s marketing hype, but I can stream high-def TV without issue. You'll have to consider the quality of your wiring though.

Maybe pick-up two units and test it out, to see how it goes for you?

I'm using these, $136 a pop from Austin:

http://global.level1.com/news01.php?Id=31

Cheers - Nik

P.S. I also meant to mention to make sure that you consider how you actually expect to use each connection, as that's what should drive your choice here (unless you've just got that much cash to throw around). You listed three different (physical) locations in your house, though what services will you be accessing at each location? e.g. just e-mail/web browsing, general file sharing, streaming high-def video, etc. etc. You don't need the throughput that a CAT6 cable offers just for browsing the web (where your ADSL connection will be the slowest link). It's good to future-proof though and to anticipate that you'll need more later on than what you can think of now; my point though is to keep in mind what functionality you want these connection points to give you (beyond just "data").

Last edited by NIX WRX; 04-11-2008 at 03:02 PM.