View Single Post
Old 10-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato
Such a simple idea... Let's successful Aussies buy a high end HSV / FPV without the 33% LCT tax.
And if you had bought a brand new one in the last 2 years and suddenly watched your resale value drop by $15k overnight you would not be pissed off. Then you have people upside down in their finance (i.e. owe more than the cars worth), then they prang it and the insurance doesn't cover the loan. Then they dont have enough equity in their house to cover the shortfall. epic fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpreza
And if all those 260,000 became unemployed the dole bill would be at least 55 million per week, but then you could probably double that because the govt isn't receiving any tax from the workers, then of course you could probably double that again because they receive no tax from car sales either, there is more flow on than you could imagine, much cheaper to bail them out at the end of the day.
Agreed this is a problem however WA's unemployment rate for the june quarter was 2.2% The natural rate of unemployment (i.e. those who are actually employable) is about 4%. WA alone could consume a lot of those people.

Dont forget that it is not like someone is going to turn a light switch off. I.e. it will be a gradual shut down. It is not like all of those people are going to become unemployed overnight. Unless the manufacturers are going to stockpile cars there is going to be a downturn in production and hence employment anyways.

As for the payout each week I am not sure of the numbers but they still have to eat (tax) drop the kids at school (fill their cars up) smoke their cigarettes (tax) etc. It is all a vicious circle and the payout is not as bad as it seems.

At the end of the day the economy needs too and despite government interferrance it will eventually correct itself. I dont understand why the government is going to keep propping the industry up when in another 10 years we will be going through all the same problems.

Brendon