View Single Post
Old 15-11-2008, 06:52 AM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qu3xy
I just recently started getting a click in my brakes. It only clicks once when i start braking and then it is fine. It happens almost every time. If I do not apply the brakes hard it will squeal a lot until i press it hard enough for it to click. Upgraded to slotted rotors and 4 spot calipers a couple months ago and they seem to brake fine and they have racing pads. Could it just be the racing pads and I did not notice the clicking before recently?

What do you reckon the prognosis is, Internet Doctors?
Hmm, my crystal balls reception is particularly clear this morning so let's see:

Background:
1) Firstly I doubt you have "Racing Pads" however we can still stroke your ego
2) Lets reference your new setup...probably Ferodo DS2500 and DBA648S Street Series or DBA4648S 4000 Series 266mm Rotors on second hand 4 Spot calipers? Geez I hope you went the 4000 Rotors cause your going to cop some C.Vale low budget Kmart-ish shite otherwise after your "Racing Pad" comment.

Discovery Phase:
4) Check for undue wheel bearing play / pad knock off (aging 94 = high probability)
5) Assumes pads in near new condition
6) Check for undue side slop in the pad/locating pins
7) Check slotted rotors are installed in correct direction ref DBA site

Options:
8) Hmm...slotted rotors, with new pads, making a single click sound, on second hand Calipers...On initial hard braking application the pad moves in the caliper until it seats causing a click, like they do in reverse? Try another set of pads to eliminate these if problem persists take 2 replacement front Calipers and test again. Or try new pad locating pins first.
9) "Exercise" the caliper pistons to ensure any build up of grime is removed from the pistons sealing edge. Use a lever to push one in at a time and repeat several times for each of the 4 per side. Take care not to overflow the Brake Master Cylinder.
10) *An age-old trick is to put a small amount of copper slip (copper grease) onto the back of the pads where they contact the brake caliper piston and on the pad shims, if present. While this will normally stop the squeal, getting grease on the pads or discs will affect braking performance.

Additional Preventative Actions:
a) *Chamfer the leading edge of your "Race" pads to avoid undue initial bite
c) Replace worn wheel bearings
d) Remove FOD from area
e) Start your own thread in future or send payment to address below
f) Before anyone else tells me I need to get a life, I know
g) If you just want it fixed give Shane a call, ref my signature. Mention maddog said to give him a visit and Shane will help with some friendly expert and professional advice....ahhhh, my crystal ball is now starting to blur over...

*References:
Wikipedia is your friend
Nauli this thread wtf, would that give Steve or me the IP or Moral Rights seeing it is my thread?