View Single Post
Old 09-02-2006, 02:02 AM
STI Master

JMAX is unrated

See explanation in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTED
Can some please explain to me how the PCV system works in particular the crancase vent.

I'm trying to sort out how to safely / correctly connect a catch can.

This is my understanding...
On the crancase vent there is a y - piece attached (may have some type of valve) One pipe goes to the PCV valve on the intake manifold - the other to the intake - pre turbo. During engine vacuum the PCV valve opens creating a vacuum in the pipe connected to the y- piece causing the y- piece valve to open and vent the crancase gases into the intake?? Is this correct.

Yes

Is it ok to connect the catch can to the crankcase vent (pipe going to inlet off y-piece) and to the rocker cover vents?? Thus combining both systems.

Yes

Alternatively can you scrap the PCV system all together and have the crankcase vent into the catch can all the time - will this cause any problems.

No problems apart from a slightly 'stinky' car. This is what I consider the proper way to hook up a catch can as all waste is dumped to atmosphere via the catch can.
By keeping the PCV in the system you're kind of defeating the purpose of having the catch can because you'll still be drawing fumes containing petrochemicals in to the intake system. Advantage of this though is that you can't smell the fumes when you're idling/sitting at the lights because it's all being drawn back in to the engine.

Why am i so confused - i received this image from Roger Clark Motorsport regarding the installation of there catch can. As you can see he has the vent for the crankcase connected on the wrong side of the y - piece "I THINK" Can someone pls verify.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...tion2Large.jpg

Many Thanks

Anthony