View Single Post
Old 23-11-2008, 08:39 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by chee
Geoff,
why not get a ej20 block from a RS? closed deck from factory. bore that out to 2.2.
Reality check:
Ok the RS EJ20 Fully Closed block is called an EJ20G for starters. An EJ20G block has a few short falls that people should be aware of.
1) They are rare and getting fairly old.
2) They take a Phase I crank. These only have 48mm wide big end bearings as opposed to the phase 2 EJ20K at 52mm.
3) These also have the main thrust bearing at no 3 position instead of the no 5 position. This can cause crank walk... a not so good experience.
4) Cranks are not as readily available or as well priced as they are for the phase 2.
5) Making a stroker motor, i.e using a Phase 1, 2.5 L crank, with the EJ20G requires custom rods...a not so cheap experience.
6) They come standard at a bore of 92 mm, a 2.2 is 97mm from memory. This leaves very little room for error and I suggest would need to be sleeved to be safe. Boring out a fully closed block until it needs sleeving defeats the reason why you had a fully closed block to start with.
7) The EJ22T is the block of choice, and readily available in the States, alternately a closed deck EJ25 can now be sourced...try ESP in Canberra
8) An EJ20G has oil squirters that provide a spray of oil to the underside of the pistons. Many believe these just lower oil pressure and do very little else.
9) An EJ20G can be modified to take a phase II crank, at an extra cost of approximately $700 in Perth, ref Leigh H. @ RMS. Ouch!
10) An EJ207 is ready to go with a Phase II crank

By using a factory assembled semi closed EJ207 short motor that comes complete with a phase 2 crank, forged pistons, strong rods, OEM tolerances and quality for $2500 it is never going to be beaten for value. An EJ20G with a few other nice bits can still beat it on performance.