View Single Post
Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Gaijin at standard level
Default Mobile broadband for Laptops. Selecting a service provider

I’ve got a couple of questions for you guys. Have you ever used mobile broadband on a laptop? What company was it with and how did you find it?

The way my career is evolving I’ve found I need to do a reasonable amount of travel and constantly be using tools like google earth on my laptop while on the road. Specifically I’m looking at getting one of those USB sticks which operate through I believe the 3G network. I’m deciding which company and which specific plan to go with. The choices are Telstra / Optus / Virgin / Vodafone / 3.

I guess I’ll need at least 2 or 3 gig per month, maybe up to 5. Speed is reasonably important, response time and lack of dropouts is very important to me.

What have your experiences with this type of on the go broadband? Which company was it through and what was the internet experience like in terms of speed and lack of dropouts?

Also if anyone has any specific recommendations on getting a great deal or has a connection with a shop where that might be possible please let me know.