View Single Post
Old 10-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Powered by BP98

phizzle at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXT
Not true!.....have you actually tried different HDMI cables on the same setup?
I can guaranty you there is a difference particularly in the audio side but at the end of the day if your home theatre gear is fairly basic you may not hear/see the difference a high end cable can make.....the same comments were made when optical/toslink connections entered the home audio/theatre scene but those even with a fairly modest theatre setup will concede that a quality fibre optic cable does make a difference.
Just so you know I am a dedicated audiophile and purist. My home theatre consists of a Sony 40" full HD LCD (to be upped to a Samsung Series 6 50" Full HD plasma as soon as fundage permits), Yamaha RX-3800 7.1 receiver, Bowers & Wilkins 683 series mains (running bi-amped ) and ASW610XP DVC, dual 200W Ice-Power amped 10" sub of greatness! Anywho, I have not perceived any difference what-so-ever between the (overpriced) HDMI cables Surround Sounds gave me and the one I got from Dick Smiths. I wouldn't have bothered if I wasn't offered them for free!

In saying that, I have invested heavily in speaker cabling. $400 for 5m of sub cable, and $35/m for the main speaker cabling (which are x2 because they are bi-wired ).

Trust me, I can see and hear every nuance in the digital feed, no complaints here from my *cheap* HDMI cables. When Eric Clapton is plucking strings and you can hear him launch a silent but deadly, you know you're on a good thing You were saying??
EDIT: Just found this --> http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/?...content;rb_mtx

Last edited by phizzle; 10-01-2009 at 10:57 PM.