View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Sign me up!
From one V8 to another!

jasonmurray at standard level
Lightbulb Stumped about DSLR choice

Hey guys

Ive been looking for months now for a new camera and I have only been a P&S boy. I have decided to take the plunge and go into the DSLR game after looking at all the stunning shots from you guys.

I was set on going out and buying a Pentax K200D during the week from JB's (as I have a $553 gift card) but then I was advised by a work mate that I should be looking at a Nikon so we can share lenses.

He has a D80 and I noticed that around the price range of under $1000 the Nikons, both D40 and D60, dont have the AF motor built into the camera so I wouldnt be able to share the lens I would need for my camera with my mates.

The D80 is still around $1,200 with only a single lens kit plus the D80 is old now and has been replaced by the D90 which I think is way over priced ($1799 for a single lens kit).

After reading a bit here on the forums and also a lot of other reviews the better option would be to go for a 450D if I was spending the "over $1200" mark.

I just checked out a link that someone provided for Camera's Direct when looking for a 450D and they have the Canon 40D for $1,125 (Body Only) and the Canon 40D w/ 18-55mm kit for $1,347. https://www.camerasdirect.com.au/ind...n/eos-40d.html

Also, if I went body only is there a particular zoom which is a "legendary" zoom which will last me for years and years and still under $500?

How much better is the 40D over the other camera's I mentioned and is that a good option to go with or should I just stick to the original plan for K200D since I am only learning and save my pennies for later down the track?

Thanks for your help.

jase

TEAM オレンジ

Dyno queen

Last edited by jasonmurray; 07-02-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Fixed link