Thread: S202 or Classic
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2009, 10:36 AM
STI Master

Chrus at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus
The cost is not really building the car. take what you budget, add 50% then double it and you will be close. But at least that is a finite number.

The biggest killer is the running costs. The old adage is whatever you spend on your car you need to budget about the same to run it each year and enter events.

Rubber is about $6 per competitive KM
Fuel is about $0.75 per competitive km
Brakes (pads and rotors) are about $3 per competitive km.

Thats assuming you dont hit anything and there is no wear and tear on your engine

Doing an event like targa west, (assuming you are based in perth i.e. no travel costs for you or car or crew) and assuming you will only go through normal brakes / 6 tyres etc i.e. no wear and tear on engine / turbo will cost about $15k for 300 competitive km's. And if you win you get a $100 trophy.

If you want to do targa tassie from perth you would want an absolute minimum of $25k in your pocket. if you are serious it would be far more than that. i.e. you rock up with 4 sets of tyres in different compounds and make a decision on the morning of the prologue on which tyres you are going to run for the whole event.
I always knew motorsport is expensive but breaking the topic down like that really brings home the truths - cheers

S202 jappy would be awesome. Would love to move my car in that direction with some surgery.

Loving the topic - refreshingly informative for once