Thread: S202 or Classic
View Single Post
Old 22-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXRW
okay, so how about we throw around some ideas and build a car and draw up a budget.

to be honest, is it really worth it? does double the money necessarily mean double the fun?
Double the money does not mean double the fun but it does mean that you know if you drive the wheels off the thing you have a chance of winning.

I know that I could drive my car in its current tune at 12 tenths and unless it rains there is absolutely no way I can win Targa West. This is also assuming that Les Walkden konws nothing about the Evo 7 that a certain WA driver is in that he originally built.

My point is you are not going to land a s202 in WA for $14k and the cost to set it up with motec / reigers etc is going to cost the same whether it is a brand new my08 or a s202.

If I was going to build a new race car tommorow (bear in mind I have a fully equipped workshop and would do everthing myself except for physically welding the cage in. I would cut / notch and tach but get a registered welder to actually weld it) I would not get a dollar back out of $125k.

Works out like this.

Base car: Either Brand new Evo x rs or jap spec STI: $45k
Suspension: Reigers or nothing: $20k
Brakes: S/hand AP's or similar. (bear in mind you are not allowed to run a pedal box. Also includes hydraulic handbrake $15k
Cage: Chrome moly including painting $10k
Wheels / tyres: original diameter but lighter weight $5k
In Car: Seats / harnesses / rally computer / fire bomb etc $8k
Computer: Motec box plus diff controller inc tuning $8k
interior misc: re cover dash / tinting / vo waterspray $5k
other: stamp duty / rego etc $4k
exhuast: new exhaust to save weight and less restrictive $2K
stuff ive forgotten: ?? $5k

This car would be competitive outright on any tarmac rally on the east coast. It would not beat porsches / gtr's in targa west because they simply have too much power out of 90' corners and you cant carry enough corner speed with you.....unless it rained.

The point I am trying to make is that the cost of the car pales into insignifigance so dont buy one and do it yourself but if you insist on doing it buy the latest model thing you can get. It's nice to have the exclusivity of something like a 202 but you are going to hack stuff out of it. Probably bin it at some stage and it will never go back to what it was like. Also because it was made in such low numbers the car would never have been homologated. That means you have to run the weight as it appears in the brochure and not the homologated weight. Without doing the research there might not be any difference but you would be better off with a normal spec C sti instead of an s202.

At the other end of the spectrum you could ring up heaphy at ralliart and buy a brand new evo 9 rs or evo x rs for $40 - $45k. Brand new car that is b-rego. With some tyres / exhaust / tune ($5k) the car would be competitive at club level motorsport and be super reliable. If you get bored there would be heaps of people that would buy the car and turn it into a rally car(either dirt or tarmac). If you dont get bored and love it you could start ticking the boxes from above. Start with suspension then maybe the cage etc.

Brendon

Last edited by urabus; 22-04-2009 at 03:37 PM.