Thread: Budget 2009
View Single Post
Old 13-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME
I've planned ahead nonetheless, so you can either sit on your arse and bitch and moan, or do something with it and reap the benefits. im quietly confident this current 'market' has taught some people the true value of investment and calculated risk.

Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance - someone should email that to Wayne.
Agreed 100%. The thing is that those under 30 have not known what it is like to not be able to get a job at will. This has not promoted any loyalty amongst employees and only now are they starting to realise that the wheel is turning and in many cases it is too late. They have always had access to cheap money (i.e. low interest rates since they were over 18) and have accepted credit card debt as a way of life. They have been able to earn silly money ($25+ / hr as a totally unqualified labourer). If they lost their job they do not have any savings and have to rely on the 'gummint' for handouts.

I know in my business we have laid off a couple of guys. The ones that have gone are the ones that would always hold you to ransom for another pay rise when they knew I had no other option. Also the trouble makers are gone. Dont get me wrong. These guys have been replaced but at the moment you can replace people whereas 12 months ago you really had to work with what you had and pay these guys drug money to keep the peace.

We also have a lot of trouble getting our guys to look after some of our gear. Generally speaking most of them dont give a shit. i.e. it breaks we will grab a new one and keep going. In the last couple of months I have had different people replace a digital camera they lost, a makita cordless drill and something else. They realise that they need to take some ownership whereas before they would have come to me and said brendon, i lost my camera I need a new one for tommorow.

Assuming you have a job I think the current situation is great. Will bring all these people that have bitten off more than they can chew back to reality and might make the drop kicks that look like they fell over in a fish tackle box and have hair 5 different colours realise that until they start acting like a normal person they will not be able to get a decent job.

Brendon