View Single Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:12 AM
STI Master

scary knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews
Not too sure about this fact. I have never seen any trees swell when left in the rain. How can a solid piece of say jarrah or pine swell more then chipboard, even if it is HMR. The biggest mis-conception is that chip board is water proof. It is only water resistance just like a lot of watches.
Really you must be a timber expert

I tell ya what you put a piece of pine jammed in between your cabinets and we'll soak it and see what happens.

If you knew what you were on about you would know that chip board delaminates when wet and timber expands when wet. Now we are talking about dry timber not trees here.

Do you know how to bend a solid piece of timber??? no wel what you do is soak it so the celloulose fills with water and then steam it so you can bend it (littel bit more complex than that but we'll keep it basic) essentially the grain expands and with the heat of the steam it progressivley drys threfore you can manipulate the timber to bend with the "wet" sections being larger than the dry sections.

Besides all of this I said that the chipboard HMR or not is not waterproof but is resistant. Now HMR is no different to normal chipboard othere than the type of formadelhyde glue used to hold the chipboard together wich has some water resistant qualities.

12.463 1/4 mile, not bad for an old school Liberty [DECEASED]

MY08 Liberty Tuned by STi