Thread: Wheel Bearing
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WhiteRX at standard level
Send a message via MSN to WhiteRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB0 View Post
mate i dnt think the steering knuckle has anything to do with this job!!!!! its all bout removing the hub, pressing out the bearing and replacing the seals that stop the water entering into the bearing. i wouldnt risk a 2nd hand hub, who knows how long that bearing will last!!!!
I dont want to say this in a rude way but...

The steering kunckle is what holds the wheel bearing (The part that the strut, lower ball joint, brake caliper and tie rod end bolt to). Bearings dont usually fail from water getting in (happens very rarely) but 99% of the time from hitting curbs (unless the car has done many many k's)

So you remove the steering knuckle, press the HUB out from the bearing, remove the inner bearing race from the hub when they get stuck, then press the old bearing from the steering KNUCKLE after removing the circlip. then press the new bearing into the KNUCKLE then press the new HUB into the new bearing.

I have done many many of these on many different types of cars. (i know some bolt on, some are tapered etc) but this one isnt.

Anyway all up should take around a hour with the correct equipment and to wheel align after. Although a big plus for replacing the wheel bearing with a brand new one.

Last edited by WhiteRX; 29-07-2009 at 10:22 PM.