View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
STI Master

[I 86 I] at standard level

Our policy is basically, once you swipe in at the security gate, hard hats are mandatory.

Your site rule may sound stupid etc but there is a purpose and that's to implement culture change. By enforcing a procedure that workers get into a habit of wearing a hard hat anytime they walk outside a crib room, eliminates the risk of people forgetting to wear them. How many times have you, or know of another worker who has gotten out of their LV, drill rig, truck etc and forgotten their hardhat or left it at the crib hut etc? If you say never then you must be on the only minesite in aus that doesn't have that happen lol.
The problem with the whole safety & procedures issue is that every rule has been implemented due to an incident. As small as the incident may be, the fact is is there has been lost time (due to sick bay, incident report etc) which in turn = money. In turn, rules and procedures are put into place to accomodate all people.

As you would notice Denver, the boom which brought on the skills shortage also brought with it the Coles nightfill people who couldn't steer a $3mil truck let alone walk safety to have a shit in the toilet without banging their head on some sort or railing because they couldn't use their eyes.

Trust me man, your site isn't the only one!

Last edited by [I 86 I]; 04-10-2009 at 10:25 PM.