View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

VETTETOREX at standard level

I got away with driving for about 45mins today without any symptoms. Then the next 2 times I drove the car it was back.

Throttle cable is good. I've checked the vacuum hoses and I can't see anything noticable.
I've had the intercooler off and can't see/feel any noticable leaks on the intake after the AFM to the throttle body. A while ago I hooked a boost guage up and Vacuum at idle and boost seemed fine.

THe car drives fine once its pulling through a gear all the way, boost is good, no hesitation, its just I cant change without thudding the drivetrain or coast at any constant speed. Problem is in the low rev range.

Just a question. Is the idle control solenoid supposed to rotate when it is installed. It is quite loose and wobbly but the flange is tight. When the engine is running and I push and pull on the ICS I can speed up and slow revs slightly and I can rotate it 360.

Playing with it a bit seems to induce this problem. If you gently try to hold revs in neutral it seems alright to about 1500rpm then at around 2000 it goes crazy up/down then after a few loops of that it burbles like its on 3 cylinders and CEL comes on till I release the throttle and it falls back to 600rpm then CEL goes out. Then revs raise slightly.

When driving and I put the Air con on, it also makes this problem appear quicker.

It logically seems it may be TPS, I need to check the votages. But the ICS - I'm hoping it's not suppose to rotate/move like that, but it looks like that was the way it was designed and it has been like that since day one.

As we all know it sucks to keep throwing parts at cars/machines with hope each new part will fix it and it never does. In my experiences it seems that's what a lot of crap mechanics do and charge you $1,000's for the previlidge.

I'm hoping someone has had the exact same problem and can nail it on the head.

Thanks