Thread: broken bolt
View Single Post
Old 15-01-2010, 12:26 AM
Sir AntiLag

rstasy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrally View Post
By the sound of it the bolt has been crossthreaded in there tight enough to break it off. You won't get it out with an easy-out. If you can avoid using the passenger seat until you get the steering rack done I'll drill it out and re-tap it for you, if possible. Otherwise it needs a patch and nut welded on etc which is more work but still do-able.

Edit; For anyone wondering what an Ezy-out is, or how to use one they have their uses but are not a miracle cure for all broken bolts. For instance if you're bolting on a bracket and overtighten the bolt and break the head off you may well be able to use an Ezy out. The reason the bolt broke was that it was overtightened, and stretched to breaking point, it will not be tight in the threads once the head has broken off.

On the other hand if you bought a coarse thread bolt from Bunnings for your fine thread pitching stopper and it breaks off after you have sweated and graoned through five turns of thread munching (Hi Tino!!) you've got buckleys of anything with the word 'ezy' getting that out!!!!
that's exactly what's happened - the head of the bolt has snapped, but contrary to what you've said - as it occured whilst i was removing the seat itself.

it doesn't look crossthreaded, but i could be wrong. the driver's side needs some attention too (as you have remembered from last time when you test drove the car, doug) ; although the seat mount channel has copped some damage prior to my acquisition of the car.

there's certainly not as much movement as there was previously however; as the new electronic seat rails are far more rigid in opposition to the original leather heritage seats that stood in their position earlier today.

i'll just drown my sorrows with copious amounts of bintang in bali, it's amazing how something so little can be so frustrating

thanks for all your input

Last edited by rstasy; 15-01-2010 at 12:29 AM.