View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

GTB Liberty is a guruGTB Liberty is a guru
Default Some peoples "view" of fog lights.

This was posted originally on "another" forum by me:

Hi all,

Firstly, in WA my partner has been pulled over , RBT'd and let go with a warning for "fog lights".

However, one of the closest moments to death I was ever involved in included fog lights (we believe), early morning Nullabour driving and a three dog road train.

The story:

My partner and I lived a GI (geographically impossible) relationship her in Melbourne me in Perth. Finally, she decided to go to Perth , after a year living on a phone, and we decided to drive her late model Toyota Celica from Vic to WA. We took 4 days. Melb to Port Augusta, oysters at Ceduna stop at Nullarbor Roadhouse. Roadhouse to Kal, and final day to Perth. All in all 4 days of blast driving

The Nullarbor Roadhouse being nigh on 1600 Km (?) in a day was the biggest day. However, there was another catch. My girl and I met in Byron - sorta hippies. Anyway, I wanted to get my girl to the border of WA/SA for dawn as it was a full moon sinking and the sun rising at opposite horizons. Very special to see (oh - I have a geo Dad, I've seen lots of desert 'special' moments). So, now the near death bit.

We have to leave the Nullarbor roadhouse at 2 AM odd to make sure I have enough time to get to the border. Driving has always been spirited lets say and with a radar on the Nullarbor at that time of night - well . . .

Anyway, we get to that stage where you are able to see , what 20 km + into the distance, every road 30 km straight etc, and I see a single spot from a semi way way away. I know he's there wondering how long til I get to him. We finally get onto the same straight road facing each other and he flashes his high beams off, then on , as if I had my high beams on but I have dropped earlier. I flash , high on, off, ON , OFF to show mine are down. We must still be many Kms away from each other. He again flashes high beams twice. I wonder why?

I had forgotten that I had been using the fog to light the road edge. On the Celica they spread wide and show the road shoulder well. But, when flashed didn't conclude it was the issue. But . . .

When the rig gets to say 400m away - on come EVERY BLOODY HIGH BEAM LIGHT ON THE WHOLE TRUCK.

Anyway, as the rig comes closer AGAIN, HE SWERVES INTO MY LANE.

I was easily doing 110 Km + , the rig I do not know. But we wound up two tires in the gravel shoulder as I avoided three trailers swerving towards our car.

It scared the living shit out of me.

Anyway, after calming my partner down, we continued to the WA border.

I can assure you though - if it wasn't for wanting that special moment with my girl. I would have turned around and followed that homicidal arsehole and well . . . made him contemplate that decision

Regardless, be careful where you use your fogs lights I have no issue with them, however, the subjective use of "clear" v "unclear"?

Rain, Fog, homicidal moments in the Nullabor?

Have a good one.