View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Het View Post
As for all this "I didnt know, nobody told me, its not my fault"....what absolute crap!
I dont particularly agree with the severity of the punishment handed out but when you get a drivers license you are expected to know how to use your lights correctly!! Its all common sense AND is written out in very clear wording on how to use them properly.
Sorry; but if you get caught then you have no-one to blame but yourself, take some responsibility rather than trying to blame everyone else.
That's all well and good for someone who only had their P's a couple of years ago and read the book recently... but not for my grandma who's been a reputable driver for 50yrs and decides to purchase a new car with foglamps! As already pointed out in a counter-argument, cars and design rules change over the years- without any campaigns by govt re: the matter or notes left regarding operation in manufacturers manual (and trust me, lot's of manufacturers do highlight these aspects) I still believe this is misleading GIVEN the current punishment it entails.

Quote:
Also for some people foglights ARE blinding. Not so much in the day but at night they do increase the amount of white light being thrown forward.
So on the one hand, we're supposed to be accountable for knowing when to switch certain lamps on/off, but not accountable for correct adjustment so that lamps are not pointing at oncoming traffic?? The same argument could be said about main headlights if not properly adjusted... does that mean that if they start dazzling oncoming traffic from poor adjustment that we make it law to switch them off? Of course not. Perhaps we should target road trains next, or maybe just start using a little sense?? Foglamps, correctly adjusted do not harm anyone and therefore should not be enforced with the same penalties as speeding- if at all!!

To enforce a law and hold others accountable for it, they have to first have some knowledge of the law. Otherwise it naturally leads to the confusion we have reflected here in discussions like this...