View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010, 11:43 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

Papa Het at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy View Post
That's all well and good for someone who only had their P's a couple of years ago and read the book recently... but not for my grandma who's been a reputable driver for 50yrs and decides to purchase a new car with foglamps! As already pointed out in a counter-argument, cars and design rules change over the years- without any campaigns by govt re: the matter or notes left regarding operation in manufacturers manual (and trust me, lot's of manufacturers do highlight these aspects) I still believe this is misleading GIVEN the current punishment it entails.
Then I would say if the car has a new feature she has never seen or used before she should seek to educate herself on how to use it...I.E. Look in the owners manual and read the comment about varying laws state to state and then go on to find some info about those laws. All part of being a responsible driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subarooboy View Post
So on the one hand, we're supposed to be accountable for knowing when to switch certain lamps on/off, but not accountable for correct adjustment so that lamps are not pointing at oncoming traffic?? The same argument could be said about main headlights if not properly adjusted... does that mean that if they start dazzling oncoming traffic from poor adjustment that we make it law to switch them off? Of course not. Perhaps we should target road trains next, or maybe just start using a little sense?? Foglamps, correctly adjusted do not harm anyone and therefore should not be enforced with the same penalties as speeding- if at all!!

To enforce a law and hold others accountable for it, they have to first have some knowledge of the law. Otherwise it naturally leads to the confusion we have reflected here in discussions like this...
Being accountable for making sure our lights are correctly adjusted (in my opinion) falls under the same responsibilities of making sure our tyres are in good condition, our brakes work and our car is serviced properly and that we drive in a safe and considerate manner.

To me this highlights that it is about time we had annual inspections of cars to make sure things like this are sorted. There are to many old heaps getting about with knackered suspension, bald tyres and headlights that point in different directions and an owner that doesnt give a shit.

Personally I find even correctly aimed foglights to be distracting and dazzling and really there is no need to use them unless visibility is seriously reduced. I agree though that the punishment does not fit the crime...it would be better just to pull people over for a bit of an ear bending and then make a record of the chat. If they get caught at it again then maybe $50 to make sure the message sinks in.