Thread: Conking WRX
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Caitlin at standard level
Default Conking WRX

Hi All,

I've got a 2005 MY06 WRX manual (no mods) and I've been having problems with it for a while now and Subaru can't officially diagnose the problem.

Symptoms:
When taking off in first gear, the car sometimes splutters as if running out of fuel; then if I can't regain revs it randomly conks. I'm always able to start again after but sometimes it will repeat above symptoms again. It also sometimes idles on low rpm and sometimes shudders.
Yesterday I was paying close attention when it happened: I put key in turned ignition to on and oil, engine and battery light came on, punched in key pad numbers and booted up car. Fine as reversing out drive way but after taking clutch out the symptoms started happening. It didn't conk out cos I pulled over, checked lights and nothing unusual. I regained revs and drove off. Once on the road in top gear was fine. Sometimes it happens when i'm driving down the road too but always on increase acceleration.

It seems to more commonly happen in the afternoons when it's warmed up then I stop turn off ignition and go to drive it again (requiring re-enter of pin). I am assuming this it is normal that when I stop the car turn off ignition and restart, the pin isn't required? Only if it's a certain period of time after the ignition has been turned off do I need to enter a pin.

Subaru has had it for three days in total and she hasn't played up. They have done a full diagnostic check and reset. They don't think it's anything to do with fuel line/injection etc. as the've checked the pressures. They think it might be the immobiliser/alarm and that I should get it disconnected ($150) although can't guarantee this is the problem.
I've heard that by doing this it could affect your insurance premium although I haven't yet confirmed this with my provider.
Research on net has told me that similar problems are common with WRXs and most people have replaced the alarm system with something else. Haven't found anything with disconnecting?

Please give me any advice! thankyou

Last edited by Caitlin; 11-03-2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Reads better - people might assume I don't know how to change gears! but trust me I do.. this is a problem