View Single Post
Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

[MARZS] at standard level

when i had first got my licence i had a old skool volvo...242gt, 2 doors, lumpy cam, zorst. i had it painted and drove my dads vy ss around for a few days to and from school...but on the 3rd day i put it into a tree and did $15,000 damage to it. i thought i could drive anything. that taught me a big lesson on driving to my ability which i believe young people know nothing about.
attitude is the reason why young people are over-represented in crash statistics (along with limited experience). if there is anything that can improve this statistic then the wa government should look at doing it - increasing the number of hours learner drivers must log is not the answer as they seem to believe - its still supervised driving and how many people are going to act like a knob with their folks in the car??? not many!!
for me, resiticting the power limits of a car is going to go a long way to decreasing the road toll with specific regard to 18-24 yr olds, and it should be coupled to purchasing a car that is a certain number of years old (young) so that they have a greater number of safety features or able to simple protect its occupents better. as has been said, if it takes a car longer to get up to a dangerous speed (over the speed limit or too fast for the conditions) people are not going to be as likely to try and drive it in that manner. i now this may open up the flood gates, but why is it that the government are not able to see this?
someone asked how they would police this sort of plan of action...it works in NSW, however not sure how...but it works, p platers seem not to try and dodge the system for obvious consequences, which need to be harsh in order to deter people from driving a car in which they are not qualified to.
sorry for the long winded post