View Single Post
Old 14-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Sir AntiLag

rubberbudgie at standard level
Send a message via MSN to rubberbudgie

Thanks for that, it's good to know I won't lose too much power putting it through the exhaust.

I've never actually heard an external wastegate in operation but I'm guessing it's bloody loud due to what the dude who I bought it from was saying.

As it is at the moment, even off boost it is offensively loud. I haven't got to use boost yet as there is an exhaust leak somewhere in the up-pipe so combined with that and the crazy rotational anti-lag idling it's running just driving it on the road at the moment is a bit rude to inflict upon other road users.

And yeah the turbo is a Garrett GT3540r with a Tial 44mm wastegate (with screamer) - now I'm guessing that by nature of the name "Screamer" it is designed to be loud so could I lose the "screamer" part to get some quietness back. My intention is to try and keep as much of the power output as possible while making it drive, look and sound as close to a standard 2006 STI as possible. This approach always worked very well with my 2003 WRX, nobody even suspected I was running dual-nitrous injectors and a whole bunch of other mods. Unfortunately with this one, the "almost as wide as the car intercooler" clearly visible from the front kind of gives the game away.

Not sure what other specs you wanted Kato, just the usual stuff most people seem to do to rex's these days (ie. FMIC, bigger injectors, turbo, exhaust etc) although it does have a Motec M800 ECU which is kind of cool. I installed, programmed and tuned my Haltech P2000 ECU on my '03 wrx completely from scratch without a dyno so figure if I'm on a roll why not keep running with it? After all, the engine is supposed to be almost bulletproof so I'm sure a few seconds here and there of running lean while I sort out the fuel map shouldn't bother it. Only one way to find out I suppose

(and sorry for the big post)