View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

subarooboy at standard level
Default The best performing non-DCCD centre diff??

Ok, got into a bit of a debate with some friends on the weekend re: centre diffs. Of course there is Subaru's flagship DCCD which I have flogged in every shape and form of STi round the track while instructing (perks of the job!) and have now wired up in my 6 speed, tested round the track and fairly impressed!!

However to my knowledge Subaru have also released 3 other non-DCCD centre diffs with factory set pre-loads. These are 4Kg, 12Kg and 20Kg? Respectively...

The 4Kg centre diff being most common in most WRX in my experience is fairly doughy inducing heaps of understeer (which most attempt to somewhat 'cure' with suspension mods etc), the 12Kg seems to be superb offering a well balanced, more nuetral drive, but have never tried the 20Kg- which I hear can get a little tricky and end up throwing the car back into understeer issues again.

So thought I'd throw out this question to the guys who have tinkered with any/ all 3 of these variations or had them inclusive within vehicles (eg- early STi's) to get their opinions... what are the differences? And which did you feel was the best??