View Single Post
Old 28-04-2010, 08:23 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

club$pec at standard level
Default Cracked Head - IYO, what would you do with your $$$

So had a great long weekend!
Went up north with 10 mates and we all had a blast,
However.......
On the drive home I managed to crack the head on my beloved 97 WRX!

So now i'm up for serious $$$
I waiting on the quote to come back. But i'm expecting around $4-$5K right?
So the problem is, I dont want to chuck good money after bad.
In your opinion would you get the work done or cut you loses sell off the car with the cracked head cheap and upgrade?

*The car is a 1997 Blue Hatch with 165,000km's (just below average)
*I brought the car 2 years ago for $13.5K (i dont owe any money on her)
*Spent just under $1k doing the exhaust and a dry performance filter (no other mods done)
*I just spent $1800 doing all the seals, timing belt kit, rocker cover gaskets, timing belt tensioner and one CV joint.
*I had to get the plastic side tank on my radiator replaced last year because it cracked. Then had to take it back to get it fixed again under warranty because it cracked again right away
*Last year I had a bit of a prang and my insurance company put in a new low km gear box (but its not quite right as it still chips into 4th) i'm worried that i still have a potential 1-2K if i need to fix the syncro in 4th

Option 1) I sink another 4-5K into fixing the head, Short term, this will be much cheaper than buying a new car right away. But I'm still back to square one and still have an aging car with more potential problems right? Plus i would have now spent 20K. And it wont even go any faster

Option 2) Sell the car off cheap. What would she be worth as is? Would I get $5-7K for it do you think? Sell my newest toy (2007 Honda VTR 250cc) i just brought it for 7K with only 1000km's on it (i do still owe the bank 7K, but a new car loan will force me to be rid of this one) This gives me a half decent deposit for a new car. If i'm buying a new car more likely than not i'd upgrade to a Liberty GT. I would spend around $25-$35k and get a good one. low km's, no problems, more professional for my work (sales consultant), lots of nice air bags, side intrusion bars etc etc, sunroof!

Option 3) Sell the car cheap. Buy a bigger bike. and stay indoors all winter when it rains. - also more likely than not, eventually, one day, come off the bike (it might even be no fault of my own) and seriously hurt myself.

Last edited by club$pec; 29-04-2010 at 09:37 AM.