View Single Post
Old 26-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Chadza at standard level
Default Is my Walbro FP killing fuel regulators?

Hey guys,

I've got an MY02 B4 that I have installed a Walbro 255L/hr fuel pump in about 10 months ago for an Ecutek tune I had done.

In the past week a very minor fuel leak has grown into a more major one. The car still runs fine, but whenever the car is stationary (ie no airflow going through the engine bay) the fuel smell is almost overpowering. Sure enough the leak is coming from around the fuel pressure regulator.

Now the rubber hose that leads FROM the regulator to the drivers side fuel rail looks quite perished and is leaking at the clamp join, but the regulator also seems to be leaking from the brass screw where the fuel line goes INTO the regulator from the fuel tank.

I have had issues like this before, about 8 months ago, where I got the manifold removed by subaru and they said the regulator had carked it. I ended up getting a second hand regulator from JWS over here and it looked to be in good condition and did not leak when first installed. Now 9 months later I have a rapidly increasing leak from exactly the same area.

I have read on some wrx forums that the Walbro 255L fuel pump has a history of causing Subaru FPR's to fail due to an increase in pressure supplied. Is this plausible? Initially I was under the impression that it is just a higher flow rate pump, but to get a higher flow with the same plumbing to the engine I suppose you need to increase pressure.....

So, a secondary question...if I go through all the trouble of having to take the manifold off to get to the regulator, am I better off just going an aftermarket regulator instead of trying to source a new standard B4 regulator? Will the ECU need a retune to compensate or are these aftermarket regulators able to be adjusted manually?