View Single Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:34 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
I do think they should be forced to use local suppliers and contractors and not just ship everything offshore for fabrication. This would provide great employment, create long term training needs and generate more taxes than any 'super profit tax'.
I also agree with this. Our company lost a tender to an international company. As a result of this 15% of our employees were made redundant. I also have a friend who used to work with us, who moved to the other company, and is currently spending a week in Korea testing equipment to be installed at Gorgon.

Additionally, I think the media has a lot to answer for in this country. I am pretty sick to death of both sides spamming incorrect and extremely speculative information. At the end of the day the share markets will follow the tone of the media and I would not be at all suprised if there are people writing these articles just to make money on the stock market. Prime example being the 'news' that RTIO expansion projects were considering the future of their projects. None of that information had any substance. A couple of days later, they edited that article stating the fact that they werent closing any projects. Good way to send the value of the shares you just bought cheaply back up!

And in case anyones wondering, my current career prospects are directly proportional to RTIO's EPs.