View Single Post
Old 31-05-2010, 11:32 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

elemist at standard level
Send a message via MSN to elemist

Before i start i should point out i do run my own business and i have worked a number of different companies.

For the people saying oh we take all the risks the employees have no risk at all. That's not strictly true, the place i worked prior to starting my own business went under owing truck loads of money - thing is a good portion of that truckload was owed to employees. Whilst wages/holiday/severence was covered by the governments GEERS program it still left alot of us out of pocket in unpaid Superannuation/outstanding expense claims etc not to mention basically a phone call saying don't bother coming in tomorrow semi out of the blue wasn't nice. So yes whilst they might not have "risk" per say, it's usually the employees that loose the most.

My personal view is if it was an honest mistake IE you were on 40k and they adjusted it to something stupid like 80k then cop it on the chin, and look somewhere else for work. If the amounts weren't so far apart and it was a discussed figure that they're trying to go back on then fight for it. Even if it's purely to prove the point.

Final words of wisdom... If at all possible try and leave on a good note.. Perth is extremely small and theres a high chance you will have to work with/for someone your dealing with now at some point in the future - whether it be them working for you, you working for them or even them being a client/supplier of yours. Also don't resign until you have accepted and signed contracts for another position. Its easy to say yeah i can get another job easy, but it's usually harder than that. What if it takes 2-3 weeks to get the job, your then looking at another possibly 2-3 weeks before you actually get paid - can you survive for 5-6 weeks without cash flow?