View Single Post
Old 24-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

VETTETOREX at standard level

Hey Everyone - and Rossco your flying is GREAT. (People don't realize the amount of work or skill involved to get there)

I have a T-REX 600ESP with all the good stuff. It's huge. Many upgrades/spares and a Great Futaba 10C Controller. It's Fun to build and an absolute brilliant example of precision engineering and quality components. (So nice just to look at let alone seeing what Szabo can do with it)

One problem - I'm way too scared to even fly it. (Here's my Heli Story)

I bought a Walkera Dragonfly 36 (First Heli ever after many fixed wings).

I checked the servo movement and memorized the controls but knew nothing about the importance of Balancing and Setup that I tried to fly it straight away. Surely it's not that hard to hover...

IT WAS CRAP! Eventually CRASH! (Though just the noise of the blades made me excited)

It was badly setup and the brushed motor burnt out and tail rotor was slipping causing it to spin. (I knew nothing about RC helicopters at this time)

So I bought an Esky HoneyBee king 2 while waiting for Brushless upgrades and parts for the Dragonfly.

It flew much better out of the box - but not great...still using brushed motors and NiMH batteries. I still couldn't fly under what I'd call control. Then the internet research begun.....So....

I then bought a $45.00 coaxial 3ch toy. Oh my God how easy to fly. Complete control(in a way).The joy of flying a helicopter was instantly realized. I'm sure coaxials can give people the false confidence to think they can fly 6Ch Helis.

So I bought a Pitch Gauge and educated myself on proper RC Heli setup. Most importantly, I spent some time on RealFlight for confidence. I'd always thought "Simming" it was for pussies. Planes maybe...but RC helicopters are COMPLETELY different - especially when not setup correctly. I then found I was able to actually setup and hover my Dragonfly 36 and Honeybee King 2. (They were still crap)

Anyway Where I'm at now is I have 2 x Esky Belt CP V2 Helis. They are great for the price. I learnt how to balance and set them up correctly. Nothing comes ready to fly out of the box in reality.

One has been crashed hard but is now flying great (perfectly setup and balanced.)

Other one is for reserve when the first one crashes. (But it's god damn Mode 1 - how do you fly like that. I'll be swapping the transmitter/receiver)

Then one day soon......... The T-REX 600ESP will fly in all it's glory.

All I really have to say is - Is it not as easy as every thinks it is. There is a very real and dangerous learning curve. Simulators only help so much when this murderous machine is flying in the real world near yourself and other people. Just the 1.3M carbon fiber blades on the TREX-600ESP make me S**T my pants when I think what they can do if you're struck or they come unstuck.(I've experienced boom strike..)

Great Control Rossco. You are much better than most people. I'm sure you've put in the hard yards.

The heli he is selling is a quality model which will fly above 95% of most people's skill level.

PS: If you think I'm soft then google some of the injuries inflicted by RC helicopters. People with 25+ years experience have been VERY badly injured or killed.