View Single Post
Old 12-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Flat Four Father

XT43 is a guruXT43 is a guruXT43 is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB Liberty View Post
Semiotics is the study of semiosis or sign process and signification. As such, I'd suggest the "piece" is a student's text on a process of signification. The breakdown of her communication or signification whether visual or aural is probably to displace the reader into an unstable state due to the readers inability to understand or grasp at the meaning of the writer.

A lot of "artistic" pieces deal with displacing the reader from the text as it provides an easier understanding of how communication works rather than when communication occurs as expected. Simply, we learn more from the failure/mistakes in signification between writer/text/reader than we do when it all goes as we expect.

The responses here are proof that you are displaced by the student's text, as such, it's very successful assuming that was the student's aim.

I hold a Bachelor in Film/TV from a school of communication and cultural studies at Curtin. I had to study semiotics, semantics, pragmatics when all I wanted to do was make films.
so did you shit in a can of baked beans?