Thread: Dyna Mat?
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Sign me up!
Scoobie Doobie

RoughStilin at standard level

What do you want the Dynamat for?

Dynamat itself, is not a sound proofing agent. It is a vibration damper. If you have a aftermarket stereo it will make it sound better. It basically does this by stopping panels from vibrating.

Do a quick test on the roof of your car. Tap the roof of your car with the end of your finger. You will notice a "tinny" sound. Now place the palm and fingers of your other hand on the roof of the car. Tap again. You should notice a significant difference in sound. The second test should have much more of a thump, solid sound to it.

Have a look here, this guy has done lots of testing of different materials. While the information may not be 100% accurate, or up to date, it is very informative of different vibration deadening products and sound deadening products.

The closed cell foam / MLV (Mass Loaded Vinyl) is what you want to help sound proof your car. The Dynamt (or equivalent, Dynamat is just a name brand) will help to stop vbrations and rattles in your car.

Both used together will have a tremendous effect. Using either, there will still be a noticeable effect. Just note on the above link, you do not have to cover 100% of every panel to achieve the same effect using the vibration damper. 25% - 50% is enough, watch the sound comparison videos.

It is also quite weighty, so don't be surprised to add 20 - 30 kg, or more dependent on how far you want to go, to the weight of your car.

The last thing is that there are basically 2 types of vibration damper.

The first is the old school type which is bitumen / tar. This does work, however in hot temps (Aus summer) it is know to melt and run. If you have this material on your roof or inside your doors, I am sure you can imagine the mess it makes.

Then second, is the type you want. Butyl. This is basically rubber. It will not melt and has much better vibration dampening properties.

Anyway, congratulations if you have read to the end of this post. My fingers are now sore. I have attached a link / names for other products other than Dyamat, which I believe are just as good, but cheaper. You can get the foam I mentioned from Clark Rubber. it's called closed cell foam, you just need spray adhesive (3M 90) to stick it down. The foam is for the sound deadening.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50-Ne...ltDomainQ5f100

Hush mat
Second skin
B-Quiet

There are more. Type sound deadening / sound dampner into ebay.

Hope this helps. If you want anymore info, let me know I can source Butyl mat, exactly the same as Dynamat for $160 for 36 sq ft.

Simon

Last edited by RoughStilin; 22-08-2010 at 05:13 PM.