View Single Post
Old 21-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Vendor

gslrallysport at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayers View Post
Would the DBA4000 slotted fronts + QFM HPX on the fronts be a good combination for a car which does 99.9% street (as in driving the kids to school and picking them up again) and maybe one track day in a blue moon?
Yep, that would be fine. Just for street I'd probably go RDA Slotted and save a few bucks. I run RDA slotted on my 03 Impreza rally car and yet to have any problems....

Quote:
Is it okay to leave the regular disks and el-cheapo no brand pads on the back, or should the rear pads also be replaced?
Ok, from a cruising the street perspective, it will be fine. However (and this is where alot of people will disagree with us), we're NOT a fan of running lesser performance pads on the back of the car because the rear does "less braking". Yes, the rear 'axle' does less braking, but it's got substantially smaller hardware in which to do it with, so the actual 'pads' can work nearly as hard as the fronts sometimes. This is especially applicable for AWD, and RWD cars. Alot of people ask us if they can run A1RM front and HPX rear on the track, and we will always say no, unless it's a very light FWD car. AWD and RWD need equal* pads front and rear, or what can happen is the rear pads start fading without you noticing, which puts more strain on the fronts, then you think it's the fronts that are letting go, and the whole vicious cycle starts over...

* Equal, as in designed for the same thing, ie. track level etc. There are times when you don't run the same pad compounds front and rear (like Comp 9 front, Comp 2 rear, which is the next level above A1RM, or if you drive a Porsche, which also ideally run different rear pads with less initial bite), but the same application type is required front and rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
There are many people that do track days on Ultimates so I guess that HPX should be just as good for mainly street driving.
Yeah, HPX will do light track work, you're right though, at 550 degrees a piece they should do a similar job...
Quote:
What I'm thinking of doing is get a pair of slotted discs and pair of A1RMs and use them just for track, while using my normal discs and pads (currently have A1RM but will change them to HPX next time I need to) for normal street duties.
I don't know what would happen to discs if I just changed the pads and kept the same discs for both track and street. Can anyone comment?
Provided the pads are of similar composition that won't be a problem. HPX and A1RM should be fine. The biggest problem we've got with people switching pads is those that are running TRW/Lucas on the street, and A1RM on the track. Something about the material the TRW lays down on the rotor doesn't bode well with the A1RM...