View Single Post
Old 18-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Flat Four Father

Pimpreza at standard level
Default The build of the offroad WRX

As requested by Marc.

Page 1

I bought this about 6 yrs ago from Fowles, I just happened to be there looking at a different car and had also locked my keys in my car so I'd organised a lift home with a guy I'd got talking to and he wanted to stay till the end, this was the last lot to be auctioned and it was at a time when just about any re-registerable WRX was fetching at least 5-6 grand.

Anyhow the first and only bid was 3k & I'd barely even looked at this hideous thing but as the auctioneer was about to chuck the hammer down I threw my hand up and ended up getting it for $3,100 so that's the start of a rather long story, pics as I go.

The previous owner had the coil overs wound down that tight that he turned off Leach highway a bit fast and hit a rock on the road, the car bounced off the road and hit some trees and a sand bank.....that's what he told me anyhow.

The radiator support was held on with 2...yes 2 welds instead of about 30, obviously from a previous prang which was great as one of them had broken so it was all off in about 2min, I think it had every piece of C West crap available on it

As bought

Get ready to vomit

So I had it towed home and got it running, got some std struts and ripped the coil overs off and sold them.

I went up to JWS when Darren owned it and discussed buying the r/h side of a hatch he had sitting there and lined it up with the panel beater (Paul) who did most of Darren's quicky work to do the job, after looking at the car and the donor I was going to buy it was decided to do a complete rear cut from the A pillars back, just as easy & in the end a shit load better as I ended up with a mint 97 V3 STI body and interior for $1,200 which I sold at least $2,000 worth of stuff out of (it had been left as a bit of a storage bin lol).

So after paying $2,500 to have the entire rear welded on.... complete r/h A pillar and cut through the l/h A pillar and sill and sill retaining the floor pan for legality + putting the new radiator support on from a 98 stat write off that I bought as another parts car I had it towed back to my ex gf's place as it was easier to work on there (unfortunately no pics of that car but it was bent in half so badly the center console was pushing the drivers seat out of the door and l/h seat was 6" wide when I took it out...)YUK. I paid 3k for that one at Pickles but the owner had just spent a fortune on handling mods, computer etc so I made more money than I paid selling on the parts I sold and kept the bits I needed.

This is the V3 front cut I bought for my liberty but you can see the rear of the blue wagon donor up on the top shelf in the original JWS workshop
Yamaha Zooma 50cc rocket hopefully going with the Transit.