View Single Post
Old 22-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

BALISTC knows their stuff

I'm with Stace.. just spend a bit of money and clean the heads up, rather than doing more extensive porting and polishing.. if you're only chasing 350-400HP max (at the hubs), then you're not going to see the benefits of $5k worth of head work.

As far as spending money goes, when it came to do mine, I gave the head shop a budget and they stuck to it.. wasn't cheap, but not over the top either.. I can't tell you the exact cost of porting because it was included in my cam install (had to set clearances as the aftermarket cams had a slightly different base circle), head service, x-raying, crack testing, etc.

I got my ports cleaned up and deburred, a simple port grind (enlargement) throughout and polished, and the port splitters have been shaped and polished... thats about as extensive as I was going to go in my budget..

As soon as you start getting ports reshaped, valve stem areas smoothed out, valve seat work, combustion chamber reshaping, etc, it blows out massively.. you can purge $5k very easily just on head work.

Agree with Brent also.. can't wait to see all the bugs back on the road! We should organise a cruise or something