View Single Post
Old 22-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
I'm with Stace.. just spend a bit of money and clean the heads up, rather than doing more extensive porting and polishing..

As far as spending money goes, when it came to do mine, had to set clearances as the aftermarket cams had a slightly different base circle, head service, x-raying, crack testing, etc. <== (that's me in a nutshell)

Agree with Brent also.. can't wait to see all the bugs back on the road! We should organise a cruise or something
Agreed, agreed and agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALISTC View Post
As soon as you start getting ports reshaped, valve stem areas smoothed out, valve seat work, combustion chamber reshaping, etc, it blows out massively.. you can purge $5k very easily just on head work.
One thing that was made mention to me when dropping mine off was to be careful of people selling components (still in the box), extremely cheap over the internet etc (people whom bought the components retail and decided not to fit them).

One of his clients was put in a position where the parts he sourced for his head work were EXTREMELY cheap, but when he was informed of all the work needed to get them to fit and function correctly, it was soon made clear why the parts were on the market at such a reduced rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
its not that difficult, the expensive part is when you need to do flowbenching and comparisons. but to hit something up with a carbide bit and take off the lumps and smooth out the casting marks is relatively cheap.
He's going to have a look for me and see if there's anything worth flattening out.

Last edited by mARC; 22-10-2010 at 08:51 PM.