Thread: 03 STI 6 speed
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2006, 08:59 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

mingin at standard level

REXXX, definitely see a subaru dealer, but in all honesty, find out what they do. I am not one of these that slag of the dealers, i work for them on occasion... but with my complaint, they said, yep, we've had a few, we put auto oil in them and it fixes it, the standard oil is too thick.
well, obviously Fuji Heavy Industries don't have millions to spend on R&D.
so, auto oil, fixed my gearshift in 1st/2nd when cold. sweet as, don't have a problem at all anymore.... but because the oil is so thin, it's going to wear synchro's and gears faster. which is maybe why 4th is doing what it does now.
the more i am typing, the more i am thinking redline LWSP is the go. when I originally got it, I spoke to the tech guy at redline and without his sales pitch, the oil is really thin when cold (which i have seen, it's like water going into the box) but at operating temperatures it behaves like a (don't quote me) 120/150W oil even though it's a 80/90W... I think that might do it... it will slow the synchro's down more when warm, which will help my 4th selection and will be thin enough when cold which will help 1st/2nd on the first 5 minutes driving.... well, i think i've made my decision.

thanks for the comment on the motul, if it hasn't made a huge difference, then i won't bother with it.

the reason i went with the subaru dealer to fix it was because it's under warranty and i figured, f*$& it, i am not putting redline in when it's a problem that subaru should know about and should fix properly rather than me having to fix it myself using aftermarket oils.

Topgear, as for the 6sp being stronger than 5sp, i believe those comments get thrown around when comparing what withstands your big rev/clutch dropping drag style driving better.