View Single Post
Old 31-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Scoobie Noobie

speeder at standard level
Default Saving 11kg in battery weight

Hey Folks,

After replacing numerous full-size batteries on my STi v6 over the years, this time I thought I'd try something new. My friend Mike from Raventech Racing here in Perth recommended I try Braille Batteries from USA.

I've now been running a Braille B14115 for the last few months and I'm impressed. It's actually better than I thought it would be. I've done Sprint Champ events and Barbagallo events and had no issues at all.

This is a 5kg battery that mounts flat to help lower the centre of gravity just that little bit more. Compared to the previous heavy duty battery, I've saved 11kg. Thats no exaggeration. The new unit is fully sealed so I don't get anymore acid leaks during cornering on motorsport events. The install is nice and neat too with a Braille spec top clamp.

I've teamed it up with a tiny CTEK charger to keep the battery topped up since the STi isn't my daily drive. Now it can sit idle for months and start first time.

CTEK make a really cool quick-connect harness with indicator lights that bolt onto battery terminals full-time, so you don't need to use the optional alligator clips, which can be a pain. The XS4003 model is great for fast charging, but I think if you're not in a hurry, the smaller bike charger will probably do the trick for less folding. I'm yet to see a better quality charger out there.

There are photos of my install on Mike's blog page.

Cheers, Nick Gianco
2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910R