View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Sir AntiLag

Okibi at standard level

I've been wanting this law to come in for years (yes i'm old but too fat to be withered).

Most P platers can't afford a WRX, they can only afford old cars with worn out suspension, perhaps no ABS or airbags etc. They're at a greater risk.

Drivers can afford to loose an average of 4 points a year and keep their licence, why should it be any different for P platers?

P platers keep pushing the limits hoping not to get caught, it's only once they start running out of money or points that they realise they need to be more cautious.

I don't agree with the argument that P platers are more likely to make mistakes so we should be more lenient. It means they're more likely to kill someone so they need to be scrutinised.

The licensing centres have handballed any responsibility for a P platers ability from passing an "old fashioned" driving test to whom ever teaches them to drive for the 6+ months they have their "log book". So if mum or dad is a typical Perth driver who can't merge, indicate their intentions BEFORE changing lanes, indicate at roundabouts or drive in a courteous manner then the P plater adopts these bad habits.

If only we had a better system to teach and grade people on their driving ability.

The laws seem to focus on trying to catch people and make money, why not offer incentives to be a safe driver. Say if I P plater didn't get an infringement in the first year they get 9 points for the 2nd year, or if a regular driver has 2 years in a row without loosing any points give them 10% off registration .. 5 years 50% off registration etc.

Obviously this would only work if Police policed bad driving and not just speeding, I don't think i've known anyone who's been booked for driving too slow on the freeway or not keeping left.

Accidents happen, that's why almost as many people die from "falls" as die in traffic accidents, the speed limits are set to reduce the amount of damage caused by the accident.

I'm probably not the best role model when it comes to driving in a safe manner but if you've read this far (without discounting my comments coz im old) then the biggest piece of advice i'd like to give is "be predictable", do things like indicate nice and early, keep out of blindspots, check your mirrors. I think that advice will keep you alive a lot longer than "don't speed".