View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 11:27 AM
Sign me up!
82 of 200

_daz_ at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master D View Post
Kato is bang on the money!!!

I also agree with the idea of restricting p platers back to n/a / "underpowered" cars.

With experience and know how lacking there is no need for excessive hp to confuse matters.

Just like motorcyclists - 250cc for a year then open class license.

P platers might hate it but they would be beat off living past the p plates to see where us " old withered" types are coming from.

There is a time and place for everything.
bit of an extract repost but...

"The restrictions will be a big step in the right direction on one hand, will cause other negative repercussions on the other.

The BIGGEST step in the right direction would have to be far more thorough driver training. Everybody complains about Perth's slow road speed limits, and when it comes to the argument of Australian road speed limits people time & time again bring up the example of Germany, it's autobahns and the speeds which are driven on them. So for this argument, i will raise the driver training which is undergone for a person to get their license in Germany. They undergo quite extensive driving theory before even sitting in the drivers seat of a vehicle, this encompasses basic automobile mechanics, vehicle maintenance, the difference in dynamics of driving a RWD, FWD AWD...and so on. You would be amazed at the number of people in Australia that would have no idea if their car was FWD, AWD or RWD, let alone what difference it makes to how they drive, or even how to maintain a vehicle so it is capable of travelling at high speeds safer. Getting, & KEEPING a license in Germany is not anywhere near as simple as it is in Australia.

So should P platers have a power restriction? YES!!! most definitely, until the driver training program, amongst other things, is improved. because at the moment the only way for a P-plate driver to learn the very basics of driving dynamics is through experience on the roads - as a P-plater-, the only way a P-plater learns how their SS Commodore ute handles at it's extremes is to go out on the roads and try it out, generally with no idea in advance of what could possibly happen, however the same manoeuver in a low powered vehicle will have a far better chance of being controlled & survived as it would be more difficult to reach dangerous speeds. I am speaking in terms of those that manage to hit light poles in back streets from trying to drift a corner and lose it, or losing control driving at high speeds on moderate limit roads, not so much simply driving as fast as they possibly can down the freeway which is something every P-plater would have tried at one time or another.

On the flipside, i see a problem with drivers that would go out as soon as they're off their P-plates and buying a performance car and still not really having the necessary experience to control the vehicle safely. On this side of the argument all that is going to be achieved is the rate of teenage road deaths will decrease,, with a steady rise in the road toll of those in their early 20's."

That wasn't a U-turn! It was two consecutive right hand turns.